Freitag, 24. Februar 2012

Cock-a-doodle-doo! First kid's costume!

On monday I had a little rooster at home :-)
Long before I was pregnant I had seen a picture taken by Julie Rivera and absolutely fell in love with it. It showed a baby all dressed up like a chick. And it was so cute that I printed it out and filed it until I would have a baby myself. And now finally the day arrived.
Last monday we celebrated "Rosenmontag" - this celebration is similar to Mardi Gras. There are big parades and everyone is dressed up - at least in the catholic regions of Germany.
Well, this was my chance to convert little Lucas into a cute little chicken. I asked good old Martha Stewart for some advice and started crafting:

First I bought a big shirt and cut it into a onesie shape. (I zigzaged the cutting edges). And then I dyed it because there were only white shirts on the shop but I needed a yellow one. Therefore I used onion peels which worked quite well.




I also dyed pants and socks:


Then I started to prepare the chicken feet out of rubber gloves. I turned them inside out, sewed a zigzag seem between the ring finger and the little finger and cut the little finger off. Then I slit the back of the hand and made a zigzag seam on the edges of the slit to strengthen them. After this I turned it on the right side I stiffed the gloves with some batting.



I thought that Lucas would be cold without a scarf, so I cut one out of a yellow fleece blanquet which was cheaper then buying fleece on a fabric shop:


But as you will see on the fotos beneath I decided later, that the scarf should be red to complement the costume even better. So I've ruined another blanket for this:



And then I made this little hat. Again I used the yellow blanket and an (unused) microfibre cleaning cloth:


This is the pattern of the hat, which I copied from one of Lucas' hats. I sewed the whole hat letting a slit open from the front to the back, were I inserted the cockscomb (which really was a freestyle object - just try it yourself).


And here's the main part: At first I fixed two feather boas with safety pins on the shirt. Later I sewed them on by hand (every 10 or 15cm a stich).




Do you fancy a look on my little chicken now?

*cheep*


(Besides, he is laughing not crying. :-) It's incredible how difficultit it is to read faces if you 
can't see someone's eyes!) 







1 Kommentar: